Monday, April 29, 2013

Whither HTWT?

Readers of this space may have noted that posting frequency has really fallen off a cliff in the past year or so. There's a couple of reasons for that. First, as a full time faculty member at York, my workload has increased (or at least my ability to rearrange my workload has decreased). But more importantly, I'm still trying to sort out exactly what it is that I am trying to do with this space.

As you'll recall, this was originally meant to document the pathway from postdoctoral to something else. As that progressed, it came to include more topics in academia, research, planetary science and outreach. And while none of that has really changed, the fact that I could string up a "Mission Accomplished" banner on the topic of my original goal as of last summer has given me pause.

I've come to ask myself the question about several posts: not only is this something I could comment on, but is it something I should comment on? While I still feel like the same person, I am not so naive as to think that my comments can be dismissed as easily as they were before. In short, no longer do I represent myself alone (if ever that was true).

So what does this mean, going forward? Well, now that I have my feet under me a little bit, I think I can bend the trajectory of this space a little bit. After all, why not use it to weigh in on topics of concern in the work that I do, and to bring forward explanations of what that work is? I think that's the path I will try to tread. We'll see how effectively that can be done over the coming weeks, months and years.

No comments:

Post a Comment